Deviation for Devo F4?

More
06 May 2016 23:34 #47922 by SirDomsen
Replied by SirDomsen on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
You get an out of space error if you delete the devo.fs first and then copy the one from the zip on the at your tx? works fine for me... Perhaps you can flash back walkeras stock firmware and start again? Might help... Then follow the steps I described. If it does not work then, I assume it has to do with your mac-OS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2016 23:38 #47923 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Good thought - I'll try that.

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?

More
06 May 2016 23:53 - 06 May 2016 23:53 #47924 by Arnold
OK, back to Devention. All good so far.
Everything checks out normal.

Last edit: 06 May 2016 23:53 by Arnold.

More
07 May 2016 00:03 - 07 May 2016 00:06 #47926 by Arnold
ARGH!! Same situation with no space available even after deleting (and emptying the trash) the devofs file from the transmitter. :-(
Looks like we're not happy with the Mac. Maybe if I dig out my Raspberry Pi...
<Edit> I wonder if I could use a virtual machine? I think the Docker thing uses one of those.

Last edit: 07 May 2016 00:06 by Arnold.

More
07 May 2016 00:07 #47928 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
you can't delete the devo.fs file. it may appear to work, but will not actually do so. the only thing you can copy to the tx is the devo.fs file that comes with the firmware. you need to get the deviation Uploader linked above in this trhead to support the F4, or use the Walkera tool. Either will work ok. But if you see the devo.fs file, then bviously the firmware is running, so your issue seems to be copying the devo.fs file. I don't know why it wouldn't work on the Mac, but I don't think anyone has tried it. Again, do NOT delete the devo.fs from the tx, just copy the file included onto the transmitter.

More
07 May 2016 00:57 - 28 Jun 2016 01:34 #47933 by Arnold
I understand. I don't know either why it fails to copy on the Mac (other than the out of space message). Maybe it has to do with how the Mac will usually include hidden meta files when managing files. I just tried again and it still failed. Is it possible to use the "File Manager" tab in the F4 Uploader?
Actually, this afternoon's thread here between me and SirDomsen started with a video I posted earlier, (Post 47890) showing the strange results I got after installing Deviation using the ZIP file, rather than unpacking it and loading up the dfu file. We've just been trying different approaches to install for better results. So far, no luck.

Last edit: 28 Jun 2016 01:34 by Arnold.

More
07 May 2016 02:32 #47942 by PhracturedBlue
I know nothing about the Mac. Can you just drop to a shell and use 'cp' like in any other Unix? I don't think uploading the .zip is supported in Deviation-Uploader for the F4/F7. I had a lot of difficulty making it work, and gave up about the time I switched to the devo.fs USB mode

More
07 May 2016 03:15 - 07 May 2016 03:54 #47945 by Arnold
Yeah, cp should do it. I don't know how to enter a proper path for the transmitter in unix, but the rest I can figure out. Can you give me a hint?
And, using the Uploader to install the .zip file worked as far as giving me a Frankenstein version of Deviation. He just couldn't get off the operating table :-)
>
Ok, I tried this:
cp devo.fs DEVOFS
and got the response, "No space on device".
Not looking good.

Last edit: 07 May 2016 03:54 by Arnold.

More
07 May 2016 05:37 #47950 by Arnold
B) I did it!
With help from my next door neighbor. (Good, old fashioned Sneaker Net)
Here's proof.

www.dropbox.com/sc/t0d83kuspkzbsm9/AAA_u2gB7HadIAye_yxFxjjQa

More
07 May 2016 16:18 #47969 by PhracturedBlue
you can probably use 'dd' on your mac. It is untested, but you can't really break anything on the transmitter (but be careful with dd, it is a low-level copy and could break stuff on your mac if used improperly)

basically you would use 'mount' to find where the devofs is mounted, and then:
dd if=devo.fs of=<mount-point of DEVOFS>

If you aren't familiar with 'dd' you would want to ask before executing anything...as I said, at least on Linux/Unix it can corrupt your hard drive if used improperly.

More
07 May 2016 20:49 #47990 by Arnold
I made an attempt at using the dd command like this:
dd if=devo.fs of=MT
where MT is an empty microSD card that I had mounted on the Mac. I expected to see the devo.fs file show up on the card, but it didn't. No sign of it. The card had been formatted as Fat32. So I tried again, writing to an external hard drive, thinking maybe it would work with a Mac format. That didn't work either. The Terminal reported 128+0 records in, 128+0 records out, 65536 bytes transferred, in 0.000561 secs (116820190 bytes/sec). So,it looks like something happened, just not what I expected.
>
The source devo.fs file was located in my home directory and when I looked there, I see a new file has appeared named DEVOFS, but the contents of that file look like text output from the terminal showing Bash could not execute binary file and then logout. I don't understand :huh:

More
07 May 2016 21:00 - 07 May 2016 21:03 #47991 by PhracturedBlue
dd is a raw copy (using it on a hdd or sd card would just corrupt them (so you need to reformat). I am not sure it would work on the tx, bt as I said, you can't damage the tx doing so. There is probably a way to copy in place on a mac, but I'd have no idea how to do it.

It is important to realize that the way deviation uses usb on the F4/F7/F12e it looks like a FAT filesystem, but it is not actually one. The only file that can be copied to the tx is devo.fs (attempting to copy anything else will not work properly), and it does not obey all FAT commands (rename and delete will also not work). It is a hack that works well on Windows and Linux, and can probably be made to work on Mac too, I just haven't tried it. This is unlike the other Walker transmitters supported by Deviation which have full (more or less) FAT support.

Anyhow, there is no reason to reflash your tx for now. Not until you want to upgrade your firmware again at least
Last edit: 07 May 2016 21:03 by PhracturedBlue.

More
07 May 2016 21:29 #47992 by Arnold

PhracturedBlue wrote: ... there is no reason to refresh your tx for now. Not until you want to upgrade your firmware again at least

You are right. I was hoping to find a way to do this last step so I can avoid using my neighbor's PC box. If I had the Windows OS, I could put one on a virtual machine... but I don't have that.

More
07 May 2016 22:15 #47993 by PhracturedBlue
you could probably use a linux image on a virtual machine. That would be free. I wonder if I can add that to the docker image. Not sure about that

More
07 May 2016 22:19 #47994 by Arnold
Oh, yeah, that reminds me. I made a PR for the manual about a week ago. I think its still waiting - at your convenience.
I'll look into Linux, thanks.

More
09 May 2016 13:36 - 09 May 2016 13:39 #48116 by Almeida
Replied by Almeida on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Hi im new here does anyone has a good amount of pictures to how install a nrf204l01 module? Im a bit of a zero in electronics and i have a ladybird fpv (came with this devo f4) and a bayangtoys x9 and i would like to use the f4 to control both, deviation aside I might also need a lot of directions in that one.
best regards.
Almeida

Edit: Is this the module to get? www.ebay.com/itm/291747048686?_trksid=p2...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Last edit: 09 May 2016 13:39 by Almeida. Reason: mistakes

More
10 May 2016 06:52 - 10 May 2016 07:46 #48153 by SirDomsen
Replied by SirDomsen on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
I would rather buy one of these because of the Power amplifier. Makes output power adjustable and gives you usually more range.

For installing a module, read through and understand the Wiki . It is similar on every devo TX. If you want to mod a Devo F4 it is similar to the devo8. Please note that Deviation for F4 is in a very early state and has some dangerous bugs. But flying FPV is possible though ;)
Last edit: 10 May 2016 07:46 by SirDomsen.

More
10 May 2016 10:06 #48159 by Almeida
Replied by Almeida on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Thank you very much.

More
12 May 2016 23:30 - 12 May 2016 23:31 #48307 by Arnold

PhracturedBlue wrote: you could probably use a linux image on a virtual machine...

I installed a Debian distro VM. Can I get a Linux version of the BuildFS tool? I didn't find a link to that in the thread anywhere, only the .exe version.

Last edit: 12 May 2016 23:31 by Arnold.

More
13 May 2016 00:39 #48314 by PhracturedBlue

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds