Devo 12s 3in1 / 4in1 RF module neat installation.

More
01 Jun 2017 01:27 #62734 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Each rf module needs power, ground, an enable signal and 3 (2 for the A7105) data lines. All but the enable signal can be shared between modules.

So with individual modules, you need 17 connections to get 3 extra modules. Worse yet, there are only 2 free connections that are shared across all the transmitters, so getting the third extra module enabled requires transmitter-specific connections and settings. On the 7E, 8 and F12E, it requires soldering to an mcu pin directly. It needs 1 antenna per module.

The original multimodule has sockets for 4 rf modules along with a microcontroller to switch between them and only needs those lines, so it reduced the soldering considerably - you just need those 6 connections, or 7 if you put the CYRF module on it since that needs 5 volt power whereas the others use 3.3. You still need one antenna per module.

The 3-in-1 is similar to the mutlimodule, except without the microcontroller to do switching. It's just three individual rf chips on one PCB, sharing lines where possible. So it needs 8 connections, and has the same issue with the third extra enable line. This needs two antennas - the original, and one for the 3-in-1.

The 4-in-1 is like the 3-in-1, but also includes a CYRF module and uses the CYRF module header in the transmitter for everything but the extra modules enable signals. So it requires adding three enable connections, with the same issues for the third. Except on the 7e, where you can't plug it in directly. In that case it needs 7 connections plus three extra enable lines. This is the only solution that doesn't need any extra antennas.

So if you don't like soldering - and I'm right there with you - then the 4-in-1 on anything but the 7E is your best choice.

It might look like the multimodule is the best choice on the 7E, but space constraints enter the picture. I believe everyone who put an mm in a 7e wound up using wires to connect the modules instead of plugging them in so they would fit in the case, meaning something like 22 connections. On it the 3-in-1 requires two fewer connections than the 4-in-1, but still needs the range mod, which from what I can tell i even harder than soldering to an mcu pin. So the 4-in-1 still seems to be the easiest option for it as well.

Final note for completeness, the Chinese superstores offer a number of "4-in-1" modules that say multi-protocol or DIY or something similar, and DO NOT say "For Devo" or "For Walkera" and have some kind of switch or knob on them. These are based on the original multimodule, but with a beefed up CPU that implements protocols instead of just switching between rf chips. They are intended to go in a transmitters module bay (on a Taranis or TH9X or similar) so you can access the protocol selection knob/switch and bind button. You could use one on a Devo, but the 4-in-1 is a better choice.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2017 10:27 - 01 Jun 2017 10:31 #62740 by MikefromGermany
Replied by MikefromGermany on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
One addendum to the above:
You should add another 3.3V regulator if you go to the extra modules way on a 7e. The inbuilt reg is designed for 100mA only, so driving it well over specs may not work out for you.
I did a complete 7e makeover to Ultimate for a friend, keeping the original CYRF (but did the range mod) and added all other possible 3 extra modules, keeping the stock appearance by using internal PCB antennas.
Adding two switches and the Pololu reg was a quite tight fit then.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2017 10:31 by MikefromGermany.

More
01 Jun 2017 18:12 #62748 by talos242
Replied by talos242 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

Texacate wrote:

talos242 wrote: I have the 3in1 but am tempted to get the 4in1 if it plugs straight in. I'm anxious about the soldering so would prefer to minimize it where possible.

If that is the case, then I'd definitely go with the 4in1. Today, Banggood is running a 10% off coupon on the 4in1!
Check out the wiki page: www.deviationtx.com/wiki/rf_module_installation/devo8
All the wiring you see near the existing module is eliminated with the 4in1.

Many thanks for the advice. I have placed an order today so hopefully should be able to install it soon. I've been very frustrated with the RF mods so far and am looking forward to getting some level of success finally.

More
01 Jun 2017 18:14 #62749 by talos242

MikefromGermany wrote: One addendum to the above:
You should add another 3.3V regulator if you go to the extra modules way on a 7e. The inbuilt reg is designed for 100mA only, so driving it well over specs may not work out for you.
I did a complete 7e makeover to Ultimate for a friend, keeping the original CYRF (but did the range mod) and added all other possible 3 extra modules, keeping the stock appearance by using internal PCB antennas.
Adding two switches and the Pololu reg was a quite tight fit then.

Thanks for all your advice Mike. It's good to finally get somewhere with this project. Having fitted a single RF chip a while back, to no avail, I'm looking forward to unlocking the full potential of the 8s.

More
03 Jun 2017 21:44 #62813 by czajunia
Replied by czajunia on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

victzh wrote: @czajunia, I sent design files for my module to the guy, who produces these 4-in-1 modules. The code support is there, in nightly builds. The guy is still processing the files, and should send me a test version, but it did not happen yet.

Hi victzh. I don't expect you have any news regarding this, do you? Cheers.

More
04 Jun 2017 23:50 #62834 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

czajunia wrote:

victzh wrote: @czajunia, I sent design files for my module to the guy, who produces these 4-in-1 modules. The code support is there, in nightly builds. The guy is still processing the files, and should send me a test version, but it did not happen yet.

Hi victzh. I don't expect you have any news regarding this, do you? Cheers.

I'm curious about this too.

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?

More
08 Jun 2017 08:20 #62888 by Bisky
Replied by Bisky on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Installed 3in1 module in my Ultimate 7E, the module it self is 1.1 version. I found out that i can not edit the hardware.ini file. I heave to format the devo and copy on the modified file. My windows 10 says that flash drive is write protected.
Any ideas?

Tx, Bojan

Ultimate 7E + range mod + 3x2 switch mod + 3in1 module
Devo F7 XMS + 4in1 module

More
14 Jun 2017 20:42 #62995 by talos242
Got my module today and got it installed.

OMG! It actually works... I can't tell you how much frustration I've had trying to get on of the NRF modules to work but to no avail. I really wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. TBH I had given up getting any of these modules to work.

Thanks so much for the advice and help. I'm very grateful :)

More
20 Jun 2017 06:14 #63050 by Airkaos
Replied by Airkaos on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hello guys, quick question, can I direct solder the antenna to this module or do I have to get the ufl to sma antenna connector??

More
20 Jun 2017 13:31 - 20 Jun 2017 13:35 #63054 by MikefromGermany
Replied by MikefromGermany on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
You can remove the connector and will then have 2 GND and one signal pad to solder onto.

But why would you want to do so? (And risk to burn something)

Best would be to get a decent antenna with fitting connector.

The 1 dB you'll loose with an adapter u.F.l. to SMA isn't worth speaking of, too.

So choose your poison.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2017 13:35 by MikefromGermany.

More
25 Jun 2017 13:27 #63128 by moutas
Replied by moutas on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hi Victzh, any news regarding the new 4in1 ?
TIA.

More
25 Jun 2017 21:27 #63137 by tbozo
Replied by tbozo on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
As I told in this thread
www.deviationtx.com/forum/marketplace/72...king-for-a-rf-module

I'm looking for a RF module because mine is probably fried.
I have a devo F4 so any compatible devo module (the module is pined and not directly solder) should be fine.
Anyone for a unused stock module now that you've done your upgrade :)
I'm in France working in Paris.

Thanks

• BirdBarber
  • Hummingbird Assassin
More
29 Jun 2017 23:01 - 04 May 2020 20:52 #63211 by BirdBarber
Replied by BirdBarber on topic Devo 10 4in1 installation guide photo with notes
People on other forums keep asking me for Devo 10 4in1 installation help because they can't find a comprehensive guide in this forum, so I created the attached Devo 10 4-in-1 installation guide photo with notes attached so all of the critical information would be in one place. I also attached the Hardware.ini file, but the changes are noted in the photo. If somebody wants to use it to write a step by step guide that would be great also.
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 May 2020 20:52 by BirdBarber.

More
30 Jun 2017 03:06 #63215 by mwm
The right place for such a guide - or even your initial draft - would be in wiki, either updating www.deviationtx.com/wiki/modulelist/4-in-1_module or linked to it from that page.

More
30 Jun 2017 03:23 - 27 Jul 2017 22:03 #63216 by Iroquois
It would be great if someone would do the same thing for Devo 7e 3 in 1 module installation. There is a lot of info in this forum, some of it conflicting. I've struggled to get more than one additional module to work consistently.
OK. It looks like thr 4 in 1 is the one in favour. Sorry I asked
Last edit: 27 Jul 2017 22:03 by Iroquois. Reason: No-one answered my query.

More
26 Jul 2017 09:58 #63592 by moutas
Hi Victzh. No news about your new 4-in-1 module ?
What do you think about sharing the design files on the forum ?

Thanks.

• rjmcewen63
  • I know how to fly, I'm learning not to crash...
More
30 Jul 2017 20:24 #63643 by rjmcewen63
Replied by rjmcewen63 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Try this in your hardware.ini.
This is for a 7e with 2 3pos. switches and a 3 in 1 module.
let me know if you need my connection diagram.
Good Luck!

;Only useful for transmitters with an after-market vibration motor
;enable-haptic=1
;
;switch_types: 3x2, 3x1, 2x2
; extra-switches=3x2
;extra-switches=nostock
extra-switches=3x2
;extra-switches=2x6
;button_types: trim-all, trim-(left|right)-(up|down|both)
;May occur more than once if necessary.
;extra-buttons=
;
[modules]
; there is no need to enable the cyrf6936 module unless
; it is wired to an alternate port. It is Enabled automatically otherwise
enable-cyrf6936 = B12
has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
enable-a7105 = A13
has_pa-a7105 = 1
enable-cc2500 = A14
has_pa-cc2500 = 1
enable-nrf24l01 = A15
has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1
; enable-multimod = A13

_
/_/ _ _
/ \/_/_\_\

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
12 Aug 2017 01:18 #63794 by Zaphod
Replied by Zaphod on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
My Devo 10 is around 4 years old. Straight from the box I installed the 2401 and 2500 and flashed Deviation. First ever experience I soldering, flashing and learning. Eventually the battery lid broke at the hinges as I was using a 3S lipo to power it so everytime it needed to be recharged it also had to be removed. Second antenna for the 2500 was loose.

Decided to rebuild. New back cover. Lose the lipo and go to 8x NiMh AA batteries that could be charged thru the on board charging circuit. Remove the 2401 and 2500 along with the second antenna and fit the 4 in 1 module.

Everything going well. Then B7 pad lifted. Trace didn't break tho so figured I'd be ok.

Reassemble. Turn on. Constant rapid beeping!! What the? Turn it off, open up and check my soldering. It's got to be the B7 pad right?

Reassemble. Turn on. Constant rapid beeping again! Menus seem to be working tho......

In case you've missed it - I swapped out the 3S lipo (12.6v) for 8x AA (9.6v) and didn't adjust the low voltage warning in the transmitter settings!

The 4 in 1 is awesome but if you make changes remember to make sure you make all the changes ;)

More
18 Aug 2017 08:27 #63857 by moutas
Hi.

I guess this topic is more or less dead....
I was really enthusiastic with the new 4in1 module, mainly because of the SPI flash ram.
It seems perfect for a Devo F12E, avoiding the change of the original ram chip.

Sadly, i believe no one will ever see the new 4in1 module... nor in mass production, nor in prototype.
It's a pitty.

thanks.
José Moutinho

More
28 Aug 2017 03:02 #63999 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds