Jumper T8SG - First TX stock running on Deviation

More
04 Nov 2017 01:40 - 04 Nov 2017 18:47 #65481 by TherealjonnyD
Replied by TherealjonnyD on topic New TX from Banggood

fneuf wrote: Has anyone tried the T8SG with SmartPropoPlus ?

I haven't bothered, because it has USBhid mode that shows up as a joystick with no modifications. Far more reliable than the microphone input PPM signal.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2017 18:47 by TherealjonnyD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2017 23:49 - 11 Nov 2017 15:09 #65521 by mcRich
Replied by mcRich on topic New TX from Banggood
[-deleted-]
Last edit: 11 Nov 2017 15:09 by mcRich.

More
06 Nov 2017 04:58 #65564 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic New TX from Banggood
I don't think the reference source is changeable in software for the F103. According to the datasheet in the 64-pin package it is hardwired to Vdd.

Don't see anything obvious looking at the code. I'll test with my tx this week.

More
06 Nov 2017 06:01 - 06 Nov 2017 06:30 #65566 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic New TX from Banggood
See target_defs.h

/* Compute voltage from y = 2.1592x + 0.2493 */
#define VOLTAGE_NUMERATOR 216
#define VOLTAGE_OFFSET 249

Voltage monitored with C.4 and resistor voltage divider from VREG_IN.

For me voltage difference is lover than 5% (resistor tolerance). With two T8SG I have different voltage, 7.71 and 7.65, with one battery. And 7.525V with Fluke 289. 7.525V + 2.5% = 7.713V
Last edit: 06 Nov 2017 06:30 by vlad_vy.

More
06 Nov 2017 08:55 #65572 by ramunas
Replied by ramunas on topic New TX from Banggood
I took a look at this earlier today and also found that for battery voltages above 7.1v or so, my copy was consistently reading only about .04v high. And I thought that looked just fine. But I kept going to lower voltages and I have to say that I share the concern mentioned by mcRich. At 6.9v the reading begins a 10 second period oscillation between .04 to .14v high (still not bad). But it gets drastically worse as the voltage continues to drop. At 6.4v the reading is totally misleading oscillating between 7.1 to 7.5v, giving you the impression that you still have a good battery, when it is actually dangerously low. You can see the effect best with a variable power supply. I can confirm that I actually see the readings start to climb while the true battery voltage is falling, and that is not good. Certainly a very clear warning has to be issued to users if that cannot be fixed. For now, I am personally setting my battery alarm to 7.4v to stay above the region where the strange behavior starts up.

More
06 Nov 2017 10:13 #65573 by Iroquois
Replied by Iroquois on topic New TX from Banggood
I made my first R/C flight in 1953. For some 64 years I have been using transmitters without a voltage readout. I never realised 'til now just how lucky I was. I have a vision of the creaters of the T8SG laughing all the way to the bank while you gentlemen do their development work for them.

More
06 Nov 2017 12:10 - 06 Nov 2017 12:18 #65576 by vlad_vy
I think voltage oscillation related to battery voltage is below 5.0V + L78M05 dropout voltage (2V) = 7.0V

It can't be fixed by software.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2017 12:18 by vlad_vy.

More
06 Nov 2017 12:21 #65577 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic New TX from Banggood
Do you mean that the reference voltage starts to drop with the Vdd, so the measured voltage value will raise with the lower battery voltage?

More
06 Nov 2017 12:39 - 06 Nov 2017 12:41 #65578 by vlad_vy
3,3V + 1.1V (dropout AMS1117) + 2.0V (dropout L78M05) = 6.4V - battery voltage to start drop reference voltage.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2017 12:41 by vlad_vy.

More
06 Nov 2017 12:55 #65580 by FDR
So basically yes, under 6.4V the voltage readout starts to behave strange, because the reference voltage starts to drop...

More
06 Nov 2017 12:58 #65581 by vlad_vy
It can be even higher. I think some voltage drop on electronic switch.

More
06 Nov 2017 13:08 #65582 by FDR
It doesn't really matter.
The T8SG was designed to work from a 2s LiPo battery, which shouldn't be below 7V, so talking about the accuracy below 7V is really academic...

More
06 Nov 2017 14:26 #65583 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic New TX from Banggood

Iroquois wrote: I have a vision of the creaters of the T8SG laughing all the way to the bank while you gentlemen do their development work for them.

That's generally how open source works: people do development on it to improve the software they are running. Jumper gave the developers transmitters to make sure "software they were running" included the T8SG version. You see the same thing happening with the FrSky Taranis. The Hobbyking th9x open source versions on the other hand took the firmware but didn't involve the developers, so it stagnated or at best got upgrades from development for other hardware.

With proprietary systems, you can't improve the software so your unpaid work is limited to testing.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
06 Nov 2017 15:16 - 06 Nov 2017 15:51 #65584 by fneuf
Replied by fneuf on topic New TX from Banggood

TherealjonnyD wrote:

fneuf wrote: Has anyone tried the T8SG with SmartPropoPlus ?

I haven't bothered, because it has USBhid mode that shows up as a joystick with no modifications. Far more reliable than the microphone input PPM signal.

Totally true, but it is still fun to try things and learn. And well, there is an available function on a product I purchased... so by nature I'm willing to test it :cheer:

mwm wrote:

Iroquois wrote: I have a vision of the creaters of the T8SG laughing all the way to the bank while you gentlemen do their development work for them.

That's generally how open source works: people do development on it to improve the software they are running. Jumper gave the developers transmitters to make sure "software they were running" included the T8SG version. You see the same thing happening with the FrSky Taranis. The Hobbyking th9x open source versions on the other hand took the firmware but didn't involve the developers, so it stagnated or at best got upgrades from development for other hardware.

With proprietary systems, you can't improve the software so your unpaid work is limited to testing.

I tend to share the opinion of mwm. As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong) hardware on the T8SG is not open source. BUT, designers & developers from Jumper are opened to suggestions and discussions.

And that's very important and welcome from a company. The will to seek, gather and learn from community/users comments is cool. Feedback driven design, made with discernment, brings focus to product dev team and clear value to customers.

Were it could be seen as becoming tricky here, and I think that's what Iroquois is implying, is that Jumper is the only one to make money out of this product (again if I'm initial statement is not proven wrong), whatever the hard work of their benevolent contributors. On one side, it's an uber great acknowledgement for all the participants to Deviation coding & testing to see such a recognition from a manufacturer. On the other side the company did get a quality firmware, clearly the killer feature, without too much efforts, I guess you could also see it as a company taking profit of a community. In a pure factual way, both statement could be defended as true. So I guess how you see it mainly depends from the mood on which you rise this morning :)

Personally I prefer the "great acknowledgment" POV of the story. And I really hope Jumper will find great ways to support back the community and show some love to the skilfull and helpfull talents here. The possibilities offered by a company choosing to build on top of open source firmware, in coherency and respect of the software development team is really motivating.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2017 15:51 by fneuf.

More
06 Nov 2017 22:11 #65589 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New TX from Banggood
You can also state that as long as jumper listens to community and make the hardware available at affordable prices it a win for the community.

Lets imagine Jumper was just bringing there own software on the Tx, it would take them much time and drive the price of there radio much higher and probably no one was interested to buy it.

Paying some money for a product is not a problem as long as it is to be justified, affordable. On the other hand not sure if deviation would except fees, lets say in case jumper want to pay 5% of every radio back to deviation.......But by giving away sampes etc, they allready support community in some sort.

I think most of our benefit would be to get a perfect Deviation radio, completely open source nothing to do with Walkera Devo.... Some quality hardware would defenitively help, also may attract more developers and users to deviation......

BTW why we not create some new topics on the Jumper developments. The name of this topic is a bit of irrelevant, diificult to find.

More
06 Nov 2017 22:15 #65590 by TherealjonnyD

Fernandez wrote: BTW why we not create some new topics on the Jumper developments. The name of this topic is a bit of irrelevant, diificult to find.

Agreed. The title is also not accurate as its not a banggood product.

More
06 Nov 2017 22:22 - 06 Nov 2017 22:23 #65591 by TherealjonnyD

Iroquois wrote: I made my first R/C flight in 1953. For some 64 years I have been using transmitters without a voltage readout. I never realised 'til now just how lucky I was. I have a vision of the creaters of the T8SG laughing all the way to the bank while you gentlemen do their development work for them.

These guys enjoy what they're doing. They do not have any obligation to do it, either. The inaccurate voltage readout is not extremely critical -- you've been using transmitters without a voltage readout for years.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2017 22:23 by TherealjonnyD.

More
07 Nov 2017 07:24 #65602 by Phobos
Replied by Phobos on topic New TX from Banggood
Is there a drop in replacement 5v LDO with lower dropout voltage I could use? 2.0v dropout is huge.

More
07 Nov 2017 07:33 #65603 by vlad_vy

Moeder wrote: A suitable replacement in DPAK could probably be a ST LDFM50 (0.3 V dropout, so with 3.3 V + 1.0 V + 0.3 V = 4.7 V minimum input voltage) or a LF50 (0,45 V dropout). Anything with a higher dropout voltage will be tough with rechargeable AA's. There's also some .23 V dropout regulators from ON (NCP5501DT50). But before advising a suitable replacement I'd like to have a look on the TXs circuit design and power requirements (it will have to supply a dfplayer as well ;) ). My sample is somewhere between China and Europe right now, so please have little patience.

Edit: Replacing AMS1117 with something like MCP1826S would "save" another 500 mV,but they are not pin compatible...
edit 2: found some: TC2117 and ADP3338

More
07 Nov 2017 10:49 #65606 by nanuk74
Replied by nanuk74 on topic New TX from Banggood
Good Morning.

I have two problems with the ts8g.
I can not use the switches for three positions, I am only able to configure two positions.

I am not able to be recognized by the computer for flash firmware, I download the programs, install the driver and it does not connect. What I can do?

Are there any tutorials to configure the switchs in 3 positions and the rounds of the center?

Thank you and sorry for my bad English.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds